Monday, November 8, 2010

troubleshooting.

Today, there was little action in the starter. No bubbles, no rising. I thought for sure I'd have to start over. Instead, I did a little searching on the internet, and I discovered my problem: It's too cold in my kitchen. Luckily, we have a "proof" setting in our oven, so it is currently basking in 85-degree warmth. I also read that feeding it twice a day can help, too. I'm trying to think of other ways to keep it warm, because I can't have the oven on all the time. I can mix it with warmer water, perhaps, and keep it in an insulated container. I checked on it, and bubbles are forming, so that's a good sign. I think it was just too cold for my yeasty friends to make bubbles.
Tonight, before I go to bed, I'll feed it again, with some warmer water, and insulate it the best I can. I'll bet if I leave it in the oven wrapped in a squishy towel and cover the top with a lid, it will stay at an appropriately high temperature. Here's to hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment