Thursday, November 11, 2010

First Attempt at Bread: The Night Before

Prepared my leaven tonight so I can bake my first attempt at bread tomorrow! It's basically the same as feeding it, only you feed it a lot more. I only saved about a tablespoon of my starter, and then mixed it with 200g flour and 200g water. I have to let it sit overnight, and tomorrow morning I start the long process of rising and shaping and baking. Overall, the process might take 9 hours, which means if I want bread at dinner I will have to start at 7 AM! So much for my day off.
To be even more prepared for tomorrow, I weighed out the flour ahead of time - 900g unbleached white flour and 100g whole wheat flour, totaling 1000g. I'm going to keep track of when I do everything on a sheet of paper, that way I can use it for reference later. It's pretty cold out, so I'll probably be bulk rising in the oven with the light on, other wise I'm afraid we will be waiting all weekend for it to rise!
I'm both nervous and excited, because I have things I have to do tomorrow besides making bread. I think I can manage to work around the rising/resting/shaping schedule to try and get all my other errands done, but I don't want to mess up my first round of bread just because I left the house for too long.
Think yummy thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment