Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Second Feeding

Not nearly as exciting as the first. Don't get me wrong, my starter still stunk like ripe cheese today, but it didn't really DO anything except develop a layer of stinky water (which is called "hooch" lol). No bubbles or anything.



So I did the same routine as yesterday: weighed out 35g water and 35g flour, mixed it with my fingers, then added it to 20% of the starter from yesterday in a clean container (this time a clear plastic one). I'm trying to be patient, because I'm supposed to be "training" the starter to go through a cycle of rising and falling over a 24 hour period. If my starter were a puppy, today it peed on the carpet and then chewed on the sofa.



Just to show you my method: the big container is the flour I use (it's a 50/50 blend of whole wheat and unbleached white flour, I use King Arthur flour in case you were wondering), the little custard dish on the scale is the food, and to the right of that is the remaining 20% of the starter in the plastic container. Oh, and the pumpkins in the background are going to be turned into pumpkin pie later this month :)

After I got it all mixed up, it didn't smell quite as strong, and in a few hours it should supposedly smell sweeter, start to rise, and then fall again. I have to work today, so I'm going to have my dad check on it to tell me if it's rising or not, because I won't be home until 9:30ish. Hopefully it starts to do SOMETHING, so I know my little friends aren't dead!



Eat, little ones, eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment